Sunday, May 2, 2010


So I got home early from work one day and some great clouds were blowing over my house. I thought about setting my camera up outside to make a video of the passing clouds but the wind was blowing much to hard and I knew my little tripod wouldn't be able to hold the camera steady enough, not to mention the risk of rain. It might be a good idea to spend some time building a box to shield my camera from wind and water. It definitely would have helped here and allowed me to get a better angle for the shot that didn't include bits of my house in the foreground.

As you can see, I ended up setting the tripod up inside my house instead. There's even some noticeable spots on the video as bugs landed on the window outside during shooting. The video was made over a three hour span with a frame rate of one shot every four seconds. This resulted in over 2000 frames when I was forced to stop when my memory card filled up. I typically set my camera to take 3mp pictures for these videos because 3mp would allow me to build the resulting video in 1080p if I desired to do so.

I'm happy with the frame rate that I chose for the video as I think that it makes the clouds move fast enough to be interesting but not so fast that the viewer can't watch the individual clouds change and warp as they pass overhead. One thing I would like to try is using a slower shutter speed to blur the movement of the trees blowing in the wind. As it is now, they appear to vibrate as time passes. If a slower shutter speed was used, this vibration might not be as noticeable while making the trees slightly blurred. If you want to try shooting time lapse during the day, it is would be wise to invest in a set of neutral density filters for your lens which will darken the image coming into your camera and give you more options for using slower shutter speeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment